2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Sunday, January 4, 2009

REVIEW for Teashop Girls



A big, big thank you to both Simon and Shuster AND the author Laura Schaefer for sending me a review copy of this great book!!! You guys are the best!

TITLE: The Teashop Girls

AUTHOR: Laura Schaefer

GENRE: YA

RATING: 4 Stars

I have to say that I really, really loved this book. I love reading about teas and teashops - everything associated with tea makes me feel cosy and comfy - that warm feeling.

First of all, I have to say that I liked the cover of this book. Suited perfectly for the story inside.

We meet Annie and her two friends Genna and Zoe. They are all tealovers and have been since they were in elementary school. But as of late, Zoe and Genna have disconnected a little bit - since "life" has taken over. But Annies love for the Steeping Leaf, her grandmother's cosy, teashop in the middle of town, is still as strong and she decides to ask her grandmother if she can now work at the shop. While Annie is at the shop, she makes a hearbreaking discovery, the teashop is not doing all that well - and her grandmother has not been able to pay the bills - so Annie and her two friends plot out an idea to "save" their beloved teashop.

The story is quaint and cute and the word that comes to my mind is "innocent". I am kind of use to reading YA with social messages about drugs and sex and The Teashop Girls was a nice change of pace from those storylines. Of course, there is a little romance intertwined, but it is kept cute and romantic and the main story remains the teashop and the love these 3 girls have for their beloved shop!!!

Peppered throughout the books are old black and white ads featuring teas and or teapots and there are some nice little suggestions as to how to drink your tea. I loved the old ads - just added to the whole "warmth" feeling I had throughout this wonderfully touching book.

I believe this may be book one of a series and I look forward to reading more books about tea and the love of tea.

Actually, my perfect scenario was reading this book while in the teashop! which actually happened to me last week!

12 comments:

Melanie said...

I think tea shops are adorable. This book sound cute:)

Alea said...

Yay! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

bermudaonion said...

I've read other great reviews of this one - it sounds like one I need to be on the lookout for.

Meljprincess said...

Another good book to send to my niece. Thanks!

I enjoy drinking tea. My mom and I used to have tea served with some sort of yummy cookie. I had tea in London a couple of times. Those cucumber sandwiches are the deal!

Yan said...

I just read a review about this book a couple weeks ago! It sounds cute~

Kristie said...

I never have been able to develop a taste for tea... though I am not sure why. It's awesome you got the book from the author though!

Wall-to-wall books said...

It does sound like a very cute book! and I agree, I love the cover! I really get into covers.

darbyscloset said...

How great ...reading this book while in a teashop...what fun!
Thanks
Darby
darbyscloset at yahoo dot com

Sue A. said...

I once had tea at The Empress Hotel in Victoria. I had previously always wanted to experience a British style tea time.

Stephanie said...

This sounds so cute, and I really don't like tea!

Kaye said...

This looks like a wonderful book. I agree about the cover, it is so cute. Your review is terrific.

Dancer229 said...

This one sounds good!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges