2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Thursday, March 19, 2009

REVIEW for Lucky Breaks



Another big thank you goes out to Simon & Schuster for sending me this book for review!

TITLE: Lucky Breaks

AUTHOR: Susan Patron

GENRE: Children's Book

RATING: 3 Stars

http://books.simonandschuster.com/Lucky-Breaks/Susan-Patron/9781416939986

I am an adult who enjoys reading YA and younger children books as I think that there is such a wonderful range of good books out there. Lucky Breaks falls somewhere in between all of this.

Unfortunately, this is the second in the series and the problem, for me, is that I had not read the first book - which basically left me playing catch up for most of the second book. The author does not do a great job of summing up book one for those of us who may not have read it, so you start reading Lucky Breaks without much of the background information.

Because of this, I believe my review is a little sided.

I did love the main character who is witty, very bright (she loves science and Darwin and even believes Darwin to be her hero) and when the book focuses on her, I loved the book. There is even one spot, towards the end, where our main character gets into a very difficult situation and this was written in a compassionate and thoughtful way.

This book is a good read for the 9 to 11 year old category I believe, but only if they are read in sequence.

No comments:

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges