2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Sunday, April 19, 2009

REVIEW for If I stay



A huge thank you goes out to author Gayle Foreman for sending me a copy of her book for review!




TITLE: If I Stay

AUTHOR: Gayle Foreman

GENRE: YA
RATING: 4 Stars




I have to start off by saying that If I Stay was a very, very difficult book for me to read. Having lost my dad, when I was 11, in a car accident, this book brought back alot of that emotion.


If I Stay is the story of Mia - she is seventeen and has her whole life ahead of her. Yet, she has to make a very adult decision - go to Juilliard or stick around and hang out with Adam - who has an up and coming band and barely has time to spend with her. But, none of this has to be decided right away!
Mia and her family decide to go for a drive and while on the outing, there is a horrible car accident and all the members of her family are killed. Yet, Mia can see herself lying next to the car, she can see the first responders trying to save her, she can see herself in the hospital bed, but she can also see the people who are visiting her in the hospital, especially Kim and Adam.
What follows is an absolutely sad, sad and touching story of one little girl's hard choices - between life and death - but if she comes back to life what is there to come back to?

This book is not an easy read. I had to put it down quite a few times and swallow back my tears. I loved the way the author writes and she makes sure to show the best and not so "best" sides of human nature.

I found myself totally engrossed in this book and honestly would not know what I do if I ever found myself in this very, very difficult place.
I highly recommend this book - with a box of kleenex.

3 comments:

Pissenlit said...

Thanks for the kleenex warning.

Bingo said...

WOW! This does sound tough to read but also bet it was really good. Nice review!

bermudaonion said...

Any book that touches you on an emotional level is great. Thanks for the review.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges