2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Monday, May 4, 2009

REVIEW for Beautiful Americans



A huge thank you goes out to Jillian at The Penguin Group for sending me a copy of this book for review.

TITLE: Beautiful Americans

AUTHOR: Lucy Silag

GENRE: YA

RATING: 3 Stars

Beautiful Americans is the debut book in a new YA series. It features 4 YA who will get to know each other quite well as they live and study abroad.

The main characters are PJ, who is trying desperatly to get away from a family scandal that has embarassed and traumatized her, Olivia who is definitely a type "A" personality but has the gift of dance and "must" make it as a ballerina, Alex who is all about clothes and showing off and Zack who lives in the Bible belt and is grateful to leave so that he can express his sexuality.

While I thought the mixture of these 4 people was interesting and certainly made for some interesting cross over storylines, I felt as though I have read this storyline over and over again. Yes, some of the story was engaging, but there was nothing new here. I also am not a huge fan of the "alternative voice" narration. It would have been better, in my opinion, if this storyline had been told in one voice.

I rated this a 3 star because the writing is entertaining and there is nothing horribly wrong with this book, it just felt a little tired to me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah I felt pretty much the same way about this one. I'm still curious about the sequel though.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges