2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Sunday, May 3, 2009

REVIEW for Pure



Thank you Michelle for sending me this book!!!

TITLE: Pure

AUTHOR: Terra Elan McVoy

GENRE: YA

RATING: 3 Stars

I had extremely mixed emotions reading this book. The premise of this book was both enchanting and disturbing. Although I absolutely think that the pact these girls took as tweens - we will remain PURE until our wedding day was commendable, I also think it was unrealistic and somewhat flawed.

Yes, I would like to believe that Young Adults reading this book would consider this as a `good thing' I also feel as though it is a bit of a dream and manages to add, yet another layer of pressure on the YA. Therefore, the YA are now pressured from one side to stay Pure and from the other (peers) not to and I am not certain that reading about this as a main storyline in a novel is all that helpful.

On the other hand, I did enjoy the different views that the author brings to staying pure and because of this, the characters in this storyline all find themselves reflecting on what is important to them in their lives. The author also did a decent job of not being too preachy - which would definitely be a challenge considering the sensitive subject matter.

I did, therefore, enjoy this book - but I still have my doubts about the message it may be passing along. Unfortunately, we are now living in the 21st century and need to be realistic about this - even if it is only a `novel`.

1 comment:

Yvette Kelly said...

I agree with you but it is nice to have something like this out there to help the teenagers who are trying to remain pure.My daughter has the same idea now and while I don't expect it to last all I hope for is that when she does change her mind is that it comes at an age where she is a bit more mature and able to handle the consequences better.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges