2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Friday, May 8, 2009

REVIEW for Brutal



Thank you to Random House Children for sending me this book!!!!




TITLE: Brutal
AUTHOR: Michael Harmon

GENRE: YA

RATING: 4 Years

Brutal introduces us to Poe Holly who is being uprooted from her current life and literally shipped to a life of suburbia with a father she hardly knows and, from all extent and purposes lives in a completely different universe. However, Poe grudgingly tries to make the best of it and even starts making some friends, including a somewhat love/hate relationship with a next door neighboor who seems to be more of a doormat than anything else.

However, when a prank goes deadly, Poe interferes to try to make things right. What I liked most about this book is the honest look at the results of a dysfunctional home - I mean, I felt for Poe - with a mother who puts her needs and desires before her daughter's. Poe's dad is a tad better, but he is so partly clueless.... I like that the aduls are not perfect and I like the fact that Poe, although clearly out of her element, is willing to "try" to make it work.

The story is one of friendship and redemption - up to a point. Poe has an interesting relationshig with Velveeta and finds herself feeling for this person and from there comes most of the basic storyline and the most interesting of the relationships.

I think the strongest part of this book is the relationships - most, if not all, are seriously dysfunctinal, but yet, I found myself involved and committed in their lives.

The writing is honest and down to earth and I did enjoy this book.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Reading books like this makes me feel so much better about my life!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges