2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

REVIEW for Little Black Lies

Another big, big thank you goes out to Melissa!!!








TITLE: Little Black Lies

AUTHOR: Tish Cohen

GENRE: YA

RATING: 4 Stars




I am such a fan of YA and I was thrilled to be able to add this author to my list of must read authors. Indeed, with Sara, our main character, author Cohen introduces us to a complex, basically good intetioned girl who has lived a difficult home life with the result that she now feels she must do anything and everything in order to protect herself and more importantly, be accepted by her new bunch of snobby school friends from her elite school. If this means lying - than so be it.

At first, I had a hard time understanding the motivation behind much of Sara's actions, but as we find out more and more about her, I found myself understanding more - if not agreeing with her actions. She is dealing with OCD - which he father suffers from and this alone would be hard enough, but she also has to contend with alot more personal stuff that is slowly revealed to us throughout the book.

I like that the author did not make Sara this perfect little girl - or this rich little girl or this total horrible person - which has kind of been done to death in novels lately. Sara is somewhere in the middle - trying to find her own way.

The writing is good and kept up at a good pace, although I must admit that the first chapter was a little slow - but soon moved on quickly. I also liked that the author made sure to add a little dose of romance for good measure.

Overall, a very good read.



2 comments:

Wall-to-wall books said...

Sounds like a good book. It is too bad that the first chapter is slow because teens need that "hook" in the very beginning.

bermudaonion said...

This does sound good. I think kids today have it so much harder than kids did in my time.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges