2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

REVIEW for The Christmas Cookie Club

A big thank you goes out to Michelle at Simon & Schuster Books for sending me this book.






TITLE: The Christmas Cookie Club

AUTHOR: Ann Pearlman

GENRE: Women's Contempory Fiction

RATING: 3 Stars




I like reading books about Christmas or that are centered around Christmas so this book attracted me, mainly because of this - however, reading about Christmas in September made me a little nostalgic for the holiday season.

The Christmas Cookie Club is actually a group of women who bake, bake and bake and then get together and eat their baked goods (some of the rules of this club were pretty funny! and some of the food descriptions made me drool). On the surfce this is what this book is about -however, it is actually much more than just a bunch of women getting together to show off their baked goods.

Rather, this book is about life and about how powerful sharing with each other can be. As each woman talks describes her baking experiences, she is also intertwining this with the story of her life over the last year - with all the good, sad, funny and scary tales that come with it.

I liked that this book shows the ups and downs of life and that these women are there for each other over the course of the years - throughout the good and the bad.

However, the reason I only gave this one 3 stars is that it feels to me as though I have read this story so many times before. It felt as though there was nothing really new here.

If you like this type of book, then you will love this one, however, I was kind of looking for something a little different and did not really get it with this one.


2 comments:

Donna said...

Sorry to hear you didn't like this book, Tina. Sounds like my kind of read.

bermudaonion said...

The book sounds pretty good, but it doesn't really sound like a Christmas book.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges