2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Monday, February 15, 2010

REVIEW for Kiefer Sutherland - Living Dangerously

Thank you to the wonderful people at Transit Publishing for sending me this great book! I had been dying to read it!!!!

TITLE: Kiefer Sutherland - Living Dangerously

AUTHOR: Christopher Heard

GENRE: Biography

RATING: 4 Stars

http://www.articlealley.com/article_1391435_54.html

Kiefer Sutherland is a mystery to me and I wanted to find out more about him and what makes him tick so when I heard about a Montreal based publishing house releasing a biography on Sutherland, I immediately wanted to read the book.

Kiefer Sutherland: Living Dangerously is exactly the type of book I was looking for. From the prologue where the author, Christopher Heard states that he never writes a book on someone he has never met, to the engaging, informative and respectful tone of the storyline, there was absolutely nothing I did not like about this book.

Heard first explains his own personal encounters with Sutherland - then segways into Sutherland's youth and then basically discusses every movie Sutherland ever made. Some movies were covered in bigger detail of course, but I have to say that the author does a fine job of giving us a thorough overview of Sutherland's professional life - intermingled with events that were also happening in his private life.

If there is one negative comment that I would make is that I was hoping for a little bit more "personal" stuff - but overall, this is a minor exception to a very well written biography.

The author really hits his stride when he talks about Sutherland and "24". I loved the little "tidbits" he shares such as when Sutherland and his TV daughter had to tape a scene where they are talking on the telephone - but were really sitting only a few feet from each other.

The author does a great job of showing us the many sides of Sutherland - he can be an absolute pro when it comes to his professional life - but can also be an absolute horror when it comes to his personal life. Heard balances this off very well -
in the end, Sutherland is pretty much the way I thought he would be and thanks to this biography, I feel as though I know more than I use to.

I also liked that the author always uses a tone of respect when talking about any person in this story. He is balanced and respectful rather than negative, sarcastic or overly "fan" like - I also thought this added a touch of seriousness to the book. I hate reading biographies when they are written by authors who are so obviously "in awe" of their subject matter - this is not the case here.

If you want a down to earth, engaging and entertaining biography on Sutherland, this is the book for you!

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm not familiar with Kiefer Sutherland, so I won't be looking for this book. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

avisannschild said...

Glad to hear this one was good, Tina!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges