2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

REVIEW for Portrait of An Addict As a Young Man


















Thank you goes out to the people at HarperCollins Canada for sending me a copy of this book.

TITLE:                 Portrait of An Addict As a Young Man
AUTHOR:            Bill Clegg
GENRE:               Memoir /addiction/recovery
RATING:             3 stars


I had heard some wonderful things about this book and, of course, because I am a fan of addiction/recovery books I was really looking forward to reading this one.



Unfortunately, for some reason this book just did not touch me all that much.

Although, of course, I admire the author for being brave enough to write his story, somehow the whole story felt "staged somehow". While the author explains his childhood - interlaced with present day actions that are clearly self-destructive - I struggled to really find the addict in him. It felt more as though the author was using his childhood as a reason to do what he did - instead of what, in my opinion, is a true addict's actions - i.e. being compelled to "use" in order to numb their feelings. Somehow, the author was doing it backwards and I kind of did not buy the whole premise of the book.

I was, in the end, disappointed with this whole book.

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Thanks for your thoughtful review - I don't think this is the book for me.

Laura at Library of Clean Reads said...

Not my kind of book either. It's too bad because this type of genre can be inspirational at times.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges