2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Thursday, May 19, 2011

REVIEW for Boyfriends with Girlfriends



Thank you to the wonderful team at Simon & Schuster Canada for sending me this book.

TITLE:                   Boyfriends with Girlfriends 


AUTHOR:              Alex Sanchez

GENRE:                 YA

RATING:                3 Stars

have been very vocal about the fact that I wish they had written books on the issue of sexual identity when I was younger. In fact, I applaud any author and publisher who understand the importance of writing books (not just non fiction)about this subject, as I believe that those YA (and all the people around them) should have as much information as possible, in order to better understand their own feelings and life events.


This is why I love books such as Boyfriends with Girlfriends. While this is, of course a novel, the importance of the stoyrline cannot be denied and I have to say that the author did a wonderful job of writing, in a compassionate and honest manner the difficulties that YA face when trying to understand their own sexuality, as well as the sexuality of those around them.

What I liked about this book was that the author explores bi-sexuality - is it true? or is it simply a temporary position for those who cannot admit their homosexuality? This is one of the core issues in this novel and while I can't say that the main characters really come to terms with this particular issue, the exploration of it feels very real to me.

So, why only 3 stars? Because to be honest, I thought the rest of the book was a little bit boring. The author spent so much time focusing on the sexual identity of the characters, that it feels to me as though the rest of the storyline suffered a little bit for it.





1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

This does sound like an important book - too bad it isn't written better.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges