2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Friday, May 20, 2011

REVIEW for A Father's Love

Thank you to the wonderful people at Penguin Group US for sending me a copy of this book.

TITLE:                      A Father's Love

AUTHOR:                 David Goldman

GENRE:                    Memoir

RATING:                   4 Stars

I remember reading "Not Without my Daughter" when I was younger and up to this day, I remember what kind of impact it made on me. 

Reading A Father's Love brought me right back to this time and I still had all of the feelings of rage, fear and frustration I had back then.  To be honest, because of Not Without my Daughter, I vowed that I would never marry someone from another country - and, for better or worse, I have always kept this as my motto.

While we would love to think that love will overcome everything, the sad truth is that when things go wrong and children are involved it is always a delicate and scary time and, when you factor in the fact that sometimes, parents come from different countries and different cultures, it seems as though the odds simply go up that something could go wrong.


Having said that, of course,  custodial kidnappings happen every day, in both Canada and the US from parents who are both fromt he same country, however, the one saving grace, in this case is that there is some common and shared law to fall back on -which is not always the case when one of the parents is from a country other than the US or Canada.

This is where the book A Father's Love comes in - and while the author does a great job of explaining the basics of the situation and the legal factors, the real "reality" for me is just how much this father loved his child and was ready to do what needed to be done - despite all the odds and while he might have though of giving up - he never did.

This is a cautionary tale yes - but it is also a story of hope and persistence and of love that has inspired me.  I loved this book, despite the frustration and the anger that I felt - thankfully, the author managed to ge through these emotions to get to the core -his child.

Very well written and deep, deep, deep.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Why does it seem like we read more and more about parents kidnapping their own children these days? What a scary thing to live through - this book sounds so good.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges