2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

REVIEW for Bad Taste in Boys

Thank you to Random House Canada for sending me a copy of this debut novel!

TITLE:                        Bad Taste in Boys

AUTHOR:                   Carrie Harris

GENRE:                      YA

RATING:                    4 Stars


For those of you who read this blog regularly, you have certainly noticed the absence of book reviews featuring - zombies.  I don't like these types of books.  However, having said that, I also kept saying that I did not like them without ever having really sat down and read one from beginning to end.

When I read the blurb about Bad Taste in Boys, I thought that this would be "the" perfect book to read, in order to discover whether or not I truly hate zombie books.  As you can see, I rated this one a 4 star, which was actually a surprise to me!

This debut novel is about zombies - absolutely.  But it is also about a strong character by the name of Kate Grable.  She is a go-getter who wants to go to medical school and part of her plan to get there is to be the official "helper" of the local football team.  I loved this idea actually.  From the first piece of dialogue, I just knew that this character was going to make the storyline.

Very quickly Kate discovers that the football coach has been giving his players steroids, which is turning them all into zombies and Kate has to find the solution, especially since both her crush AND her brother are involved.

What follows is actually a fun, yet very intelligent novel about Kate and how she tries to save the world (and her own future career) in the process.  The dialogue is witty and the storyline never gets boring or boggled down in too much detail.

Another aspect that made me choose this book was the length of it - it is quite short and can easily be read in a few hours.

While I cannot say that the zombie aspect was what attracted me to this book, at least it didn't detract me from it either.

I really enjoyed this book, but I think my initial idea was the right one - I will be staying away from future zombie books.

2 comments:

cindysloveofbooks said...

I have been hearing really good things about this book and I really like the cover.

I will have to check this book out :)

bermudaonion said...

I'm not crazy about zombies, but did read one zombie book that I really liked, so I'd be willing to give this one a go.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges