2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

REVIEW for The Day Before

Thank you to Simon & Schuster Canada AGAIN! for being so kind and sending me this book.

TITLE:                     The Day Before

AUTHOR:               Lisa Schroeder

GENRE:                  YA (in verse)

RATING:                3 Stars

I had never read a book written in verse before and because this storyline sounded so great, I thought this would be the perfect time to start.

First, I have to say that this book has been reviewed by many, many readers (and bloggers) and has gotten some rave reviews. Having said that, I am having a difficult time reviewing this book because, well - frankly, I don't really the "verse" approach.

It felt to me that I had to work doubly hard in order to imagine a progressive storyline. Maybe this is how my brain works, but I like to read a linear story.  When you are reading verse - you have to stop and imagine it in bits and pieces (it felt like to me) and this seriously removed the fun for me.

Also, I have to mention that the two main characters, which I actually enjoyed because of their attitude of living one day in gratitude and contentement (love that idea), were living, at the same time in a very dark world of their own.  I wanted to feel hope as I was reading this book, but I just could not get there.  In fact, I felt a little blah after I was done - which is not what I want to feel after reading a novel.


As I said, this one was a tough one for me because I suspect that the book is much better than I give it credit for as I just don't believe I am the right target audience.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I tried a book in verse on audio and it didn't work for me at all. I do want to try one in print to see if it works better for me. Sorry this didn't work for you.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges