2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Sunday, November 17, 2013

REVIEW for Bake it, don't fake it!


Thank you to the wonderful people at Simon & Schuster Canada for sending me a copy of this book.


TITLE:                     Bake it, don't fake it!
AUTHOR:                Heather Bertinetti
GENRE:                   Cook book
RATING:                 



For the regular readers of my blog, you know that I am NOT a cook or a baker, in fact, I hate, hate anything that has to do with it.  However, when S&S Canada asked me if I was interested in this book, I jumped on it - mainly because I feel as though I should try to get more interested in baking (also because I need all the help I can get).

Reviewing a cook book is always tricky because there is no way to "bake" all the recipes in this book before writing a review, however, I actually did try  3 of them and read through the entire book (while determining which recipes I wanted to try first) and I have to say that I am liking this one very much.

Because I don't eat sugar, I decided to bake some goods for my family and asked them for their honest opinion.  Once they got over the fact that I actually baked something "from scratch" I was told that everything I made was delicious (something I don't hear very often let me tell you!).

I tried The Carrot Streusel Muffins (page 63), the Chocolate Biscotti (page 133) and Blueberry Compote (page 93).

This book is not loaded with fancy add ons, but it delivers.  The recipes are very clearly detailed and  the ingredients are quite easy to find (I hate cookbooks that make you run all over town for ingredients).

There are some pictures (limited) although since I have a reading copy, this might be different for the published book.

The authors has also added some footnotes entitled "tips", "variations" and "chef it up".

As I mentioned previously, this book is not fancy, but it actually made me go into the kitchen and bake - so, I give it a big 4 stars.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There is a beautiful piture of the St, Honore cake on page 73. This book is loaded with great pictures. Maybe your copy was just a proof and not the final published copy.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges