2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Monday, December 9, 2013

REVIEW for The Broke Diaries



TITLE:               The Broke Diaries

AUTHOR:         Angela Nissel

GENRE:            Memoir (in diary format)

RATING:          



I read this book quite a while ago and decided to re-read it. I loved it the first time and loved it again on my second read.

This book is a kind of the prequel to Save Karyn - minus all the Internet and Ebay access.

Nissel wrote a funny, at times sad and always entertaining book about how it truly can be living on your own while you try to get a degree without the help of anyone other than yourself (and a few kind hearted friends and strangers).

I did have a few thoughts as I read through this book - Nissel doesn't actually seem to go to class or study all that much, although I imagine she did - but simply chose to focus the book on the "broke/finances" part of her life - while I get this, it does give the story a bit of an uneven edge. Secondly, I wondered why she did not try to get more work - especially during down time - yes, I know that she needed to go to class and study but she truly did not work very many hours a week.

Having said that, I felt for Nissel as she tried to get through her schooling and found myself thinking how clever and patient she was throughout - not to mention highly optimistic.

A great read.

No comments:

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges