2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

REVIEW for Running with Monsters








TITLE:           Running with Monsters

AUTHOR:       Bob Forrest

GENRE:         Memoir

RATING:        










I have read quite a few addiction memoirs and I am always in awe of the people who are brave enough to go through addiction and recovery who can also find the courage to write about it. I believe it is incredibly important for people (both addicts and those who love them) to get a true look at the hell that is addiction - right from the mouth of those who suffer. I jumped at the opportunity to read this book. Although I have never heard of Bob Forrest's bands, I did discover him on Celebrity Rehab and I remember thinking how comforting he was on that show - down to earth and unflappable.

With, what I believe is Forrest's trademark honesty, this book details his slide (nosedive?) into drugs and addiction. From a very early age, he seemed completely desensitized to the damage he was getting into. Never blaming anyone but himself, Forrest clearly shows us how his addiction, at first, helped him and then nearly destroyed him. You can clearly see how "addiction is progrssive" in this story - he touches on the twelve steps, meetings and helping others, but this does not appear to be the focus of his story.

He does state an interesting comment - saying in effect that "meetings, twelve step and all of that can help you but you need to help yourself and focus on not drinking or drugging" - interesting and kind of different from many recovery stories I have read. I have to admit that I have never heard of most of the groups he mentions in this book (not my kind of music) but I loved the writing style and this book kept me completely engaged and involved. 

This is a must read.

No comments:

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges