2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Friday, November 7, 2014

REVIEW for The Deep



Thank you to Simon & Schuster Canada for sending me a copy of this book.

TITLE:             The Deep

AUTHOR:        Nick Cutter

GENRE:           Horror/Thriller

RATING:          

I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading this one.  A few things drew me to this book.  Firstly, the cover - I love it.  Secondly, I am a sucker for anything (movie, TV or book) set in the bottom of the sea - mainly because it gives me the feeling of claustrophobia as well as isolation where anything is possible.

Frankly, in the Deep - anything is possible and the author does not shy away from creating, setting up and describing some very disturbing situations that made me cringe, all the while giving me the desire to keep reading.  I just could not look away.

This story felt plausible and impossible at the same time.  A plague exists and its killing people, but there is one hope - research being down way at the bottom of the deep but there is a problem and the team that was sent there is not answering.  They send in Luke, a well trained vet, who also happens to be the brother of the lead scientist who is missing (a bit of a stretch by the author) to find out what is happening.

What follows is a disturbing story that gave me the chills and creeped me out big time, mainly because of the setting and because, let's face it, a plague in this day and age is a very real possibility which just adds to the dimensions of this book.

One of the aspects I did NOT enjoy was that much of this story is told in flashback mode, which is a device I always hate - especially in book form.

Otherwise, I liked this story - it showed a lot of imagination and engaged me enough that I could not stop reading, even when I needed to stop.

A sure sign of a winner for me.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!





No comments:

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges