2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

REVIEW for Stretch Marks

Thank you goes out to author Kimberley Stuart for sending me a copy of her book.






TITLE: Stretch Marks

AUTHOR: Kimberley Stuart

GENRE: Chick Lit

RATING: 3 Stars



Mia and Lars are the perfect, childless couple - until Mia finds herself pregrant and Lars finds himself leaving Dodge - as he has no intention of being with a pregnant woman (even if the child is his). Mia is heartbroken and scared, but she is not alone - her best friend is there for her and so is her estranged mother as well as a whole bunch of supportive and definitely odd neighbours. Somehow this is not all that comforting to Mia. Still Mia and her mom decide to raise Mia's child - except that Babs has her own distinct view on child raising and this causes no end of argements and minor (and some not so minor) blips in the child rearing department.

I love chick lit and this book can definitely be filed into this category. I like that the main character is, for the most part, fun and intelligent and I actually really like th storyline -its funny and touching at the same time. What I had more of a problem with was the writing or more speficially the speed of the story. The pacing is slow and I am not sure if its because of some of the writing or if the storyline itself just moved too slowly, especially in the beginning. For example, the first exchange between Frankie and Mia, discussing Frankie's hair is just sooooooo long and frankly, felt very boring to me - there was just something missing and I cannot quite put my finger on it.

Overall, this was a good book, but there was something missing in it for me

2 comments:

Wall-to-wall books said...

It is too bad that is was slow, it does sound like it has great potential.

bermudaonion said...

It does sound like a cute story - too bad it wasn't executed all that well.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges