2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Monday, December 7, 2009

REVIEW for In Cheap We Trust

A big thank you goes out to Valerie at Hachette Books for sending me this book!







TITLE: In Cheap We Trust

AUTHOR: Lauren Weber

GENRE: Non fiction

RATING: 4 Stars



First, let me tell you what this book is not. It is not a "how to" giving us hints and ideas on how to be cheap or save money. Yes, there are a few passing suggestions, but this book is not really about that.

Rather, this book is actually about detailing for us, the history of "cheap" - where it came from, how it was viewed throughout history and who actually took up the movement. I found this part of the book absolutely fascinating. I liked that the author did so much research into the subject and goes way back in time to show us the basis behind the "cheap" attitude. Its amazing to me how much of a bad reputation the word or the attitude of "cheap" has gotten over the course of the "excess" years/generations.

Of course, I am not sure that I can dumpster dive - as this author mentions in the book - but I believe this is more about security for me than about "never been caught dead doing something like that".

This book is a fascinating look at the subject matter that, suddenly seems to have become almost fashionable again!


I loved it.


1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

We're not cheap, we're thrifty! LOL This sounds like an interesting book.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges