2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Friday, April 26, 2019

BOOK REVIEW for Push Back by Karen Spafford-Fitz


Thank you to James Lorimer & Company for sending me an electronic copy of this book to read and review.

TITLE:             Push Back

AUTHOR:        Karen Spafford-Fitz

GENRE:           YA - social theme

RATING:           4 Stars


This was a very enjoyable read and did not go in the "standard" direction I thought it would go.

Zaine is in trouble after doing something stupid, but this character was pretty well fleshed out, considering how short this book is.  The author did a good job of showing us his "bad" side, but also his "better" side.  This comes through especially when he spends time with his 3 year old cousins.

Throughout the story, I actually felt for him.  A useless mother who puts herself first each and every time and Zaine who feels unwanted and rejected.  

Thankfully, this story did not go in the general direction of "everyone hates me so I will be bad".  I like that the author chose to give Zaine a few people in his life who actually want him to succeed.


The scenes with Lucas were too short, I would have liked more of those, but overall, the story is good, the characters are fairly well fleshed out and I found myself cheering for Zaine.

No comments:

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges