2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Sunday, October 17, 2010

REVIEW for Bloody Crimes


















Thank you to HarperCollins for sending me a copy of this book.

TITLE:            Bloody Crime

AUTHOR:      James Swanson

RATING:       4 Stars

I was surprised to receive this book in the mail, but I have to admit that I was intrigued by the premise.  As a Canadian, I have a very basic idea of Lincoln and his death, which, of course, we have all heard about.  However, I have to say that this book was interesting, especially when you consider that the author has an intersting interaction between Lincoln's funeral and the chase (capture?) of Davis.

Although you would tend to say one is the "good guy" and the other is the "bad guy", surprisingly, I discovered things about both men that did, in fact, blur the lines a little bit.  There were some interesting revelations on both sides - making me realize that the history we now know is based, at least in part, on the picking and choosing of those who were around to write and talk about it.

The writing is well done and the story is engaging.  The history lesson is invaluable and the book was a great read.

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

If you had told me 2 months ago, I'd be interested in a book like this, I wouldn't have believed you. I actually got to sit at James Swanson's table at SIBA and found him and the premise of the book fascinating. I'm glad to see it's not dry.

iubookgirl said...

Glad to hear you liked this. I've had Swanson's first book, Manhunt, on my TBR pile for awhile. This makes me want to get to it soon!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges